Review: If It’s Monday It Must Be Madurai: A Conducted Tour of India


Author
:  Srinath Perur

My rating : 5 of 5 stars

Loved this book! I was already a fan of Perur after reading his English translation of Ghachar-Ghochar, but after reading this travelogue, I can't wait to read more of his gems!

The topic of this book is actually quite uncommon. Perur describes his experiences while traveling, not alone or with family/friends, but with conducted groups through different travel companies. His journeys (and sojourns) take him to Europe, Uzbekistan, Kerala, Rajasthan, Meghalaya, Pandharpur, and several other places on the face of this earth. And he describes each of these places really interestingly. Conducted tours are indeed the ethos of Indian culture, and never have I ever read such insightful descriptions of not just the places and their cultures, but the mentalities of people traversing them!

The book had me in splits while reading about the "foren" (foreign) tours, and made me sigh and think while reading about the less commercial ones.
The only chapter I felt disconnected with was the one about Rajasthan Kabir Sangeet Yatra, and from what I read, that pretty much echoes the sentiments of Perur's while he was on that Yatra.

Highly recommend this book to anyone who loves reading, travelling, and reflecting on the cultural landscape (and portraits, pun totally intended) of India.

View all my reviews

Comments