Book Review - Violeta (Isabel Allende)

Headline: If this book were an Indian movie, it would totally rock the subtitle "The 100-year journey of a privileged Chilean woman towards feminist benevolence"

Author: Isabel Allende 

Date of Publication: January 25, 2022

Legacy: Allende is arguably the most widely read Spanish author in the world.

Genre: Historical Fiction

How I heard about this book: Got an advance review copy of the e-book from Netgalley.com. I chose it because of the author's name.

Appropriate Audience: Adult

Rating: 3

This review is going to be a short one because even though I got an ARC, this book has been in publication for almost a year; and most of all of there is to be said about it must have already been said! However, it was compelling enough for me to write something about it, so here we go!

I hadn't read any Isabel Allende books before requesting this ARC, but I surely had read about them - all high praise, of course! This book certainly proved right all of it! Allende's writing is beautiful, mellifluous, and SO well-researched, that you can almost touch the landscape (and the times) while reading about them. And all this without the screenplay-like "show, don't tell" trend of today's novels. What Allende describes is not superficial scenery at all! 

As for the story, Violeta is a saga! And as far as sagas go, it is one of the tolerable ones I've read (I love finite stories, not generational sagas) - all thanks to Allende! As a character, Violeta is very interesting, entrepreneurial, flawed, but unique! The other characters are also rather interesting, and make you think long and hard about human nature.

All in all, I enjoyed reading it!

Comments